The Magic Drum and Bugle Corps is based out of Orlando, Florida. The corps is a member of Drum Corps International and they compete within DCI Division I. The organization also sponsors a smaller performing ensemble known as Micro Magic and a competitive Indoor Guard.
The Magic was founded as Magic of Orlando in 1989. Their first public performance was in Walt Disney World's Easter Parade and their first Drum Corps International performance was in 1990. The corps first broke the DCI top 12, making finals, in 1994.
In the early 00s Magic experienced a series of financial problems. The organization was not able to field a corps in 2000 and 2001. However, they started the performing/exhibition ensemble known as micro magic. In 2002, Magic of Orlando returned in DCI Division II, of which they became the champions with a record score of 99.05, and placed that same year 11th in Division I. The corps placed similarly in 2003.
More reorganization took placee prior to the 2004 season, and the corps placed 17th in DCI Division I competition that year in Denver. The management changed the organization's name to The Magic in 2005.
- History for Magic of Orlando. Retrieved Aug 25, 2004 from corpsreps.com.
- The Magic Drum and Bugle Corps wikipedia.org
- The Magic is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational arts program dedicated to providing the youth of today with the means to develop life skills, character building, and foster teamwork, while cultivating the talents of tomorrow’s leaders. This is accomplished through professional instruction, education, esprit-de-corps, and the pursuit of excellence from some of the world’s finest youth.
- As the Corps takes the field a member of the hornline will yell "B.A.M.F"
- The Hornline plays "ABC, 123" by the Jackson 5 and "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago once stadium light are in sight, this has been tradition since the early '90s.
- The Corps song "Do You Believe in Magic" is sung by the corps after each performance.
- After every show, the drum major will ask, "Good Show? raise 'em" and if a member had a good show, better than the last, they will raise they're Shako.
- The Web, a large Spider Web made of silk, is seen once in a while at finals, usually far off in the stands. Was used in one of the corps early shows (1991?).
- Every year during the corps final performance, each member will wear a pin over his/her heart. The member will keep this pin forever and most put them on the corps jacket.
- L.A.D.: a meaning known only to the members, but is painted on every practice field. Also the members touch a sign that says LAD and the year before leaving the bus for a performance.
- FSWATPH and Fear the Web
The Magic: Official website