Queensmen Squires (Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Queensmen Squires)
Both Kenosha corps were part of a number of parish-sponsored drum and bugle corps once prevalent across the Midwestern and Eastern United States. The Queensmen Squires were founded on Friday, January 17th, 1964, one week after the Queensmen due to the large response at its organization.
(Note: early on, the junior corps was called just 'the Squires'.)
Both the Queensmen and the Queensmen Squires made their premiere appearances that May at Kenosha's Memorial Day Parade.
By 1965 the Queensmen Squires were competing in Class C contests.
The senior Queensmen always strongly supported their junior corps, and by 1967 the by-now polished Queensmen Squires under directors John and Gail Isermann began a three-year nearly-undefeated period of first-place victories in the active Midwestern Class C circuit.
By 1969, following internal strife within the parish council of their sponsoring church, the Queensmen Squires and parent Queensmen became independent of Holy Rosary.
After the Queensmen effected a merger with the Racine Explorer Scouts for the 1970 season, the Queensmen Squires continued on as a parade corps, making their final appearance at the Chicago Columbus Day Parade that October 12th.
In 1984, over two hundred former Queensmen Squires members, families and staff gathered for a grand reunion banquet at the sponsoring VFW Post 1865. Some of the Queensmen Squires marched in the Queensmen Alumni and Kenosha's Own comeback reunions in 1986 and 1987 respectively (qv).
The Queensmen hold a yearly reunion every January 10th, the anniversary of founding (in 1964). For reunion news and details, see Reunion
In 1964, the Queensmen had one girl player, on a bass-baritone bugle.