Hi Harlan. There is a particularly stubborn spammer at work at the moment. Are there any scripts or other strategies we could use to clean things up faster? I believe they are doing it manually. --Sam King 22:18, 30 March 2011 (PDT)
- Hi Harlan. I am not sure how long I can keep this up: Special:Log/delete. All my work on the wiki is deleting SPAM. :P --Sam King 15:25, 7 June 2011 (PDT)
Hi Harlan, our friend(s) the spammers have taken to a new strategy which is to insert their list of spam links in the article and then revert the article back (in order to avoid my admin wrath). This brings up a question regarding the histories of these pages: as the SPAM links in the page histories are achieving the same goal for the spammer (being indexed by the search engines) as being present on the current version of the page, is there a way that we might remove the edits from the page histories altogether? --Sam King 22:56, 9 July 2009 (PDT)
Here's a link to a search/delete strategy for MYSQL that I found: http://kb.linuxvirtualserver.org/wiki/Purge_spam_revisions_from_mediawiki_database_permanently
Problems with the Upload File page
Hi Harlan, could you have a look at the upload page? We are getting the error: "The upload directory (/home/dcwiki/drumcorpswiki/images) is not writable by the webserver." instead of the expected page. Thanks. --Sam King 13:56, 13 March 2009 (PDT)
Hi Harlan. I have started a Neutral point of view page for Drum Corps Wiki (and a whole whack of other help pages based on Wikipedia pages). Please have a look. I'm not sure it can be called a policy yet. --Sam King 09:37, 18 March 2006 (PST)
Wierd image problem
Hi Harlan. I am try to re-size image:General_Butler_Vagabonds_1983_Allentown.jpg in the General Butler Vagabonds article but I keep getting a blank image (and a messy error message at the top of the new page) unless it is full size. Any thoughts? --Sam King 23:06, 3 June 2006 (PDT)
- I was able to resize the pic to 400px wide. Try following that example and let me know what error receive if you do receive one. /WikiSysop/ 08:34, 11 June 2008 (PDT)
Request for deletion or change
Hello, I have not for a long while and probably never will again work on this site. I request that, if possible, my user account be deleted; and, if that's not possible, for my username to be changed. Thank you. --BenPop 10:32, 10 June 2008 (PDT)
- I can't delete your account (it would cause problems with the database and is a software limitation) but I've "blocked" you. Sorry to hear that you're not part of the drum corps community. /WikiSysop/ 08:35, 11 June 2008 (PDT)
hi... --Sam 17:36, 3 Jan 2005 (PST)
No problem, I'm glad to help. As soon as I have more time I'll actually be able to help with content creation, rather than nitpicking everyone elses work. ;) --Hyperionv 14:43, 6 Jun 2005 (PDT)
Hi Wikisysop, Have you considered a glossary section for terms like "off-the-line" and "tick"? --Sam King 07:07, 21 Jul 2005 (PDT)
- Sounds good to me!
- /WikiSysop/ 19:05, 21 Jul 2005 (PDT)
Harlan is there anything we can do to help you with the damage done by the SpamBots?
--Sam King 05:27, 4 November 2005 (PST)
- I'm going to look into the latest add-ons for blocking spam. There's a relatively quick way to roll back all of a user's changes and then block that user. But the spambots seem to be able to create new users rather quickly. Hopefully there's an addition to the software that will disallow that.
Just found the Wiki a few days ago and updated a few things that I could add in. Also noticed there was some talk of a new logo. I took the liberty of adding one in. Let me know what you think. I partially based it on the regular wikipedia puzzle sphere. Love the idea of a Drumcorps Wiki and will help/spread the word as much as I can.
[Here is it is --Sam King 16:29, 12 January 2006 (PST) ] I like the concept. It's hard to make out any detail when it is the size of the current logo. Would making it colour help? --Sam King 16:32, 12 January 2006 (PST)
- Thanks for your efforts! I agree with Sam, the detail's a little difficult to make out. I think something a little simpler would do the trick. /WikiSysop/ 16:48, 12 January 2006 (PST)
Could you edit (or tell me how to edit) the disambig template in regards to this:
- Further articles in DrumCorpsWiki that may relate to this subject can be found here (Google search).
The Google search is for wikipedia.org and needs to be changed to drumcorpswiki.com
Thanks --Sam King 10:24, 7 March 2006 (PST)
- Well, get right on that Sam. OK, now that I figured out how to edit templates. :P It's done! --Sam King 16:32, 13 March 2006 (PST)
Template Wiki technical stuff
Harlan, could you implement the <noinclude> tag in templates? I am trying to add categories to them that wont's be added when we use a template in an article. Right now they don't work like they do on Wikipedia (Help:Template). Perhaps Drum Corps Wiki is not yet at ver. 1.6? --Sam King 09:43, 12 April 2007 (PDT)