The Hurricanes are known for their exciting and challenging visual packages and boast a World Championship Color Guard. The Honor Guard is also consistently the best in the nation, being undefeated World Champions for 7 straight years.
The current uniform consists of:
- Black shoes, gloves, and pants.
- Half black, half white top with a neon green and white lightning bolt across the chest.
- Black gauntlets with a neon green and white stripe.
- A police hat with the CT Hurricanes symbol.
The Connecticut Hurricanes Senior Drum and Bugle Corps, first known as the John H. Collins Post #24 Fife & Drum Corps, was organized in 1955 as a field corps and in the year 2009 will enter their 55th consecutive year of field competition. The Hurricane name was adopted after the devastating Hurricane Diane ravaged Southern New England in 1955.
The Hurricanes have won every major title offered in the world of drum corps. Since 1964, when they won the World Open Championship, they have accumulated countless awards and titles. In 1967, they captured the DCA World Championship and the American Legion National Championship. In 1969, the Hurricanes were back on top of the senior drum corps world capturing the DCA World Championship and then again in 1981. Other notable victories have included the 1982 DCA Regional title and many of the prestigious individual shows such as the National Dream Contest.
- The Corps motto is "Walk Proud and Think of Thunder."
- The traditional closer is their own version of Magnificent 7
- The corps song is Mariah, sung with original words
- The corps is known for their marching formation called the "Suicide Wheel"
- The corps traditionally bears a lightning bolt across the chest of their uniform and carries storm warning flags. These symbolize a hurricane that swept through Connecticut which inspired the corps' name.
- The Hurricanes are 3-time DCA World Champions: 1967, 1969, and 1981.
- The oldest active marching corps member is 70 years old.
- Michael Klesch is the current brass arranger.
- The switch to Bb horns occurred at the beginning of the 2007 season.