The corps was founded in 1947 under the auspices of the Hormel Meat Packing Co. of Austin, Minnesota.. Iniitially a competitive senior corps, they were the first all-woman corps to take part in American Legion competition. By 1950, the Hormel Girls had evolved into an orchestra and with their own radio program and television show. They traveled the country in their own fleet of 35 white Chevys. The group lasted until 1953.
- entry for AL Spam Post #570 - corpsreps.com
- Sullivan, J. M. & D. Keck (2007 - accepted/in press). "Industry Ensembles for Veterans: The Hormel Girls." American Music.
- abstract from above article
- Women's marching band represents Austin in NYC postbulletin.com, 7/7/2007
- History theatre - The Hormel Girls musical based on the story of the Hormel Girls
- Fictional musical illuminates real group of women postbulletin.com 12/8/2007
- Hormel Foods > Company History